As you all know it at this time we are in the position to stay…
Earth Day, a day we dedicate to appreciating this beautiful green and blue planet. Though we feel it should be 365 days/year of appreciation we all have to start somewhere. Here are 5 simple tips that you can do to help our beautiful 3rd Rock from the Sun stay green.
- RRR- though for us it means Relax, Refresh and Reconnect in this case we mean reduce, reuse and recycle. We are lucky to have a waste system in Calgary that provides blue bins and blacks bins for garbage and recycling. By providing this option to residents of Calgary more people are likely to use the recycling system versus throwing it all in the garbage. Be sure to take that extra step and recycle, metals, paper/cardboard, glass plastics and more accordingly. If you’re unsure of what can and can not be recycled double check here… http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/WRS/Pages/Recycling-information/Residential-services/Blue-cart-recycling/What-Can-You-Recycle.aspx
- Think about your carbon footprint. Little things such as turning off a light in a room that isn’t being used or the light bulbs such as incandescent vs LED vs Compact fluorescent play a big role in environment impact, energy efficiency and even cost. Measure your carbon footprint and see the impact you have as an individual http://www.carbonfootprint.com/calculator.aspx
- Urban Sprawl is a big thing in our city. So it makes it difficult for bikers to travel from point A to point B. But our city is adding bike lanes and doing their best to making it a more bike friendly area. Some companies have also added a bike incentive for those who bike during the winter times.
- Have you seen Cowspiracy on Netflix? The premise of the movie details the impact that raising cattle has on our earth. For instance animal agriculture is responsible for 91% of Amazon destruction. We aren’t saying turn vegan or even vegetarian. Just be sure to include some veggies in your meal and support local farmers and get to know where your food is being raised. For more facts about this eye opening documentary visit their website http://www.cowspiracy.com/facts/
- Bring a reusable bag. Sounds easy enough but most people don’t care reusable bags and if they do forget it in the car or at home. Plastic bags don’t seem like much but they add up to 10% of plastic being made ends up in the ocean. Using a reusable bag lowers that percentage. A number of grocery stores carry reusable bags for less than $2.00. Trust us this purchase is worth it.
Sometimes a lot of us take this planet for granted, but if we take these extra steps of care in the long run it’ll make a huge impact on future generations and how they plan on treating the Earth. Happy Earth Day #YYC