Living on the outskirts of the Canadian Rockies means endless mountains and amazing views, but…
Soma Hammam and Spa has formed a meaningful partnership with Calgary’s Emma House, a transitional housing program that works to support expectant mothers who are experiencing or are at risk of homelessness. The goal of the rising partnership between Soma and Emma House is to enhance the wellbeing of vulnerable women by providing useful tools to maintain their self-care and develop life practices with their dignity and pride intact. Soma contributes to Emma House’s efforts by donating a portion of proceeds from its pre-natal “Soma Mama” packages booked at the spa and collecting donations and new hygienic products to give to the organization. All spa treatments can be scheduled online or by calling 587-471-2496.
About Emma House
At Emma House, expectant mothers age 12 and over are welcomed into a safe, supportive, loving, family-like environment where they are encouraged to make the most of their present setting and to plan for the future. Each woman or youth receives her own bedroom, case management support, access to nutritional meals, security and 24-hour trauma-informed care. Emma House also offers an abundance of individualized and person-centered life skillset programs. These programs help residents identify and work towards goals in areas of need and build sustainable futures for themselves and their new babies.
Some of the life skills programs include:
- Prenatal and postpartum education
- Financial literacy and money management courses
- Active and positive parenting classes
- Nutrition and cooking classes
- Self-esteem and development of healthy coping mechanisms
- Time and task management courses
Emma House gladly welcomes the help of volunteers to assist with a range of tasks within the organization. This includes supporting and facilitating programs, becoming a mentor or prepping meals with residents. Click here for more details on how you can become a volunteer at Emma House.
How Soma Clients Can Support Emma House
- Attend the upcoming Emma House “What is Love” Fundraising Gala on April 11, 2019 – you’ll see a Soma prize at their Silent Auction. Tickets to the gala can be purchased
- Book a Prenatal “Soma Mama” Package ($225) that includes a prenatal massage, essential facial, and pedicure – part of the proceeds from this treatment package will go directly to Emma House.
- Purchase a Gift Card for an expectant mother you know and treat them to the prenatal “Soma Mama” package.
- Bring in a newhygienic product donation to your next appointment at Soma, or purchase a pre-made new mom package from Soma reception that will be donated on your behalf. Premade package options include a manicure set ($35) or a Wellness Essential Kit ($55).
- Donate monetarily to Emma House to help provide to food, housing, tuition or transportation contributions. Tax receipts can be offered for donations of $20 and over.
- Become a volunteer at Emma House! There are all kinds of tasks that can be taken on as a volunteer to the organization, including assisting with programs, meal preparation, events and mentorship opportunities.
Soma was established on the foundation of empowering women and helping them to achieve their best selves through continued wellness routines. By contributing to Emma House through the Soma partnership, you can support expectant women to help them feel good about themselves with access to hygienic items as they transition through Emma House and into the community. For more information on Emma House, click here.